||Business Manager - Asia
||The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
The Office of International Mission, which relates to the Board for International Mission and implements its policies, is responsible to the President of the Synod through the Chief Mission Officer for the work of the Synod in foreign countries as stated
in the Bylaws:
“The Synod on behalf of its member congregations administers those ministries which can be accomplished more effectively in association with other member congregations through the Synod. In this way member congregations utilize the Synod to assist them
in carrying out their functions of worship, witness, teaching and nurture, service and support as they seek to serve (1) our Lord Jesus Christ, (2) the members of His body, and (3) the world which stands in need of the Word and the impact of His redeeming
love.” (Bylaw 1.01, Reasons for Organizing a Synod)
- In day-to-day responsibilities, the Asia Regional Business Manager is accountable to the Asia Regional Director.
- Works closely with the IC accounting staff and OIM leadership team to ensure consistency and compliance with LCMS budgeting and financial reporting.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists the Regional Director to work effectively with our international partners, provide project and people management support, and ensure alignment between area tactical plans and global strategic initiatives.
- Assist the Regional Director to create, implement and manage world class programs, projects and systems that profoundly improve organizational capability and efficiency.
- Assists the Regional Director with the preparation, monitoring, analysis and ongoing revision of the multi-year regional budget.
- Develops and implements reporting tools and methodologies, primarily in the area of finance and regional operations, to support decision making and documentation of initiatives within the region.
- Provides financial leadership, process and training support for personnel engaging in strategic and tactical planning.
- Serves as local steward and manager for LCMS properties and holdings within the region.
- Works with regional leadership to orchestrate the effective implementation of program facets; assists in identifying resources to meet regional and global objectives.
- Manages the regional accounting system and assists with the set-up and oversight of subsidiary systems in countries as needed.
- Serves as the custodian of all monies, bank accounts, stocks and other financial papers of LCMS Asia Region; facilitates all approved regional disbursements.
- Other duties as assigned by the Asia Regional Director.
- Collaborates with the US-based staff to purposes of uniformity in processes and best practices.
- Network with the business managers in other Regions of work and/or with other international staff to consider practical improvements.
Education and Experience
- An active, in good standing, member in The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod or any of its partner churches, believing Holy Scripture is the inspired and inerrant Word of God and the teachings of the Lutheran Confessions are in full agreement therewith.
- Experience and proven knowledge of fund accounting, internal control, international finance and treasury functions.
- Experience working in an international or cross-cultural context.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- CPA qualification or advanced training with 3-5 years of accounting/finance experience.
- Managerial/supervisory experience preferred.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Demonstrated communication skills to include verbal and written, attentive and active listening, critical thinking, advising and counseling.
- Able to balance empathy with data-orientation; inclined to protect process and personal integrity.
- Able to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Skilled in managing and measuring work.
- Evidenced maturity of skills and proclivity for discretion.
- Strength in qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Expert understanding of accounting principles and procedures, capable of effectively and efficiently managing multiple priorities, quickly evaluating complex issues and identifying resolution.
- Agile, resourceful learner with the capacity to transfer knowledge and skills to colleagues.
- Ability to understand global conditions and differences; able to relate and work effectively within varied, distinct cultures. Demonstrated cultural resilience and adaptability.
- Oriented toward big-picture goal attainment with an understanding of tactical requirements.
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as, collaboratively.
- Ability to clearly articulate the Lutheran faith according to LCMS standards.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook email and calendar functions. Prior experience with Sage DacEasy preferred.
- Competency in a relevant language of the region preferred.
- Ability to qualify for permanent residence overseas and to enter the US on business.
- Supervises selected local staff as assigned by the Regional Director.
- Complex coordination of tasks with non-direct reports/deployed team members and staff within the IC.
||Send This Job to a Friend